These pixelated pictures are loads of fun and easy to do. Josiah in Year 5 explains how to create your own.
Playful Pixelated Pictures
By Josiah, Year 5
- Open up a new document in Microsoft Excel
- Change row height to 29 by right clicking on any of the numbers on the left hand side
- Change column width to 4.9 by right clicking on any of the letters up the top
- Zoom out to 40 % by clicking on the minus sign in the bottom right hand corner of the screen
- Have a picture of what you’d like to create next to you
- Use the ‘fill colour’ to change the colour of the boxes (the icon looks like a paint bucket at the top of the screen)
- Use the arrow keys to move to a different square and use the ‘fill colour’ again, changing colours as needed
- Pixels look particularly effective with a black outline
- Have fun!
Fun Activities to do on the HOLIDAYS!!!
By Lieve, Year 5
Bored, nothing to do, just hanging around at home? Well, try this then. Try making singing penguins!
Toilet paper tube
Black Paint or marker
Old sock (optional)
Pipe cleaners and pom-poms (optional)
1. Paint the toilet paper tube black.
2. Wait ten minutes
3. Glue on the googly eyes
4. Glue on the felt tip belly (preferably white)
5. Then glue on a felt tip beak and feet (preferably orange or yellow).
6. Wait ten minutes
7. Paste glue on the felt tip and add glitter (optional)
8. Wait fifteen minutes
9. During waiting time, this is optional, cut off the top of an old clean sock.
10. Tie the end with a piece of string.
11. Bravo! Now you have a hat.
12. Tie a pipe cleaner around a pom-pom and straighten the pipe cleaner. Brilliant! You have a guitar!!!
13. Let everything dry and well done! You now have singing penguins! Make a couple more for a family if you’d like.
Don’t have the materials? You should try making a sock puppet!!!
1. Old sock
2. Googly eyes
3. Felt if you would like ears and things
4. Super Glue
5. Glitter (optional)
1. Glue on googly eyes
2. Let it dry
3. Glue on ears and any spots if you would like
4. Draw patterns and things on the spots with glue and ears and add glitter if you like.
5. Let it dry
6. Fold an area where the mouth will be.
7. Put your hands in a puppet position where your thumb is separate from your fingers
8. Slide the sock puppet on your hand
9. Hey Presto! You have successfully created a sock puppet!!!
Still bored? Try making a self-watering pot!!!
1. Large plastic bottle
4. Small plant
1. Cut the top of the bottle off just a bit more than a quarter.
2. Fill it with soil to the top.
3. Plant the plant in the soil
4. Fill the bottom with water.
5. Bravo! You have completed the self-watering plant pot!!!
Tips. Keep the water filled up. The reason you want to do this is so the nozzle of the bottle is reaching the water and sucking it up into the soil.
Check out the talented drawings and humour in this comic by Michael, Year 6.
Sourced for you by Preston and Lynson, Year 5
POLICE : where do you live?
KID : with my parents.
POLICE : where do your parents live?
KID : with me.
POLICE : where do you all live?
KID : together.
POLICE : where is your house?
KID : next to my neighbours house.
POLICE : where is your neighbours house?
KID : if I told you wouldn’t believe me.
POLICE : tell me
KID : next to my neighbours house. 😊
Q: Why was the student afraid of the y-intercept?
A: She thought she'd be stung by the b.
Q: Why wont Goldilocks drink a glass of water with 8 pieces of ice in it?
A: It's too cubed.
Why did Johnny throw the clock out of the window?
Because he wanted to see time fly.
What did one toilet say to the other?
You look flushed
Why did the man put his money in the freezer?
He wanted cold hard cash!
What do you get when you cross an elephant with a fish?
What do you call a fish without an eye?
What do you get when you cross a centipede with a parrot?
A walkie talkie.
Why are robots never afraid?
They have nerves of steel.
What does an evil hen lay?
Donut ask me, I just got here.
What do you get if you cross a pie and a snake?
What sound does it make when a sheep, a drum and a snake all fall of a cliff?
BBBAAAAA DOOOOMM SSSSSSSS
Why don’t you give Elsa a balloon?
Because she’ll just let it go!!
Check out this creative comic made for you by Isaiah in Year 6